Bilt Explorer Adventure Helmet
The road calls to all of us, but sometimes the adventure takes you places that the road can't. If you find yourself on fire trails, single-track, or anything in-between, make sure that you are dressed for the quest. The BILT Explorer Adventure Helmet is feature packed with great ventilation, a drop-down tinted sun visor, and more making it ready to go wherever you want to.
- Hi-tech injection molded ABS shell
- Quality paint with double lacquer or flat matte finish
- Full-face solid shell
- Double D-ring safety fastening
- Quick release clear visor fitted as standard
- Separate flip-down tinted sun visor
- Removable injection molded peak
- Chin-bar airflow vent with metal mesh
- Removable air-flow comfort padded lining
- Meets or exceeds DOT standards
* If you don't like the Bilt logo on the helmet it is under the clear coat so don't expect to remove them easily. I don't think they look bad and at least the logo is simple and not flashy.
* Very little helmet lift at 60 MPH if any. You can notice the visor if you turn your head at 60 MPH but it isn't too bad.
* Some what poor ventilation. It works, but doesn't give a lot of ventilation. I could see this helmet being hot in the summer in Florida by only using the ventilation. Fall time it feels great. I don't get too much air under the chin guard which is a bonus for cool weather riding. I can increase the airflow a lot by simply cracking the visor which is how I will make it comfortable in the summer.
I rode in the fog the other day. I couldn't keep the inside from fogging then even with the shield cracked open. That might be pretty extreme conditions. In the heat of the day zero fogging. In the cool mornings only fogging if stopped, but it some what quickly clears up and it all clears up as soon as you start moving.
* The built in sun visor doesn't fog at all. That is a huge one for me. I had a IS-16 with the built in sun visor and couldn't stand when it kept fogging. The sun visor only has 2 positions, up or down. It was a little sticky at first and wasn't very easy to make it go up or down. I just put a drop of silicon oil just at the top of the switch so it would drip down under it and that solved that problem right up. It functions very smoothly now.
* Haven't tried dirt bike goggles on the helmet but I think they will fit as long as the shield is up.
* I have a large round head just under 24" and the XL fits me perfect. Just a little snug but no chipmunk cheeks and should break in to a good fit.
* I'm very happy with this helmet and would buy it again with out a doubt.
PROS: Good Visibility, Comfortable Padding, Fits Snug, Adequate Ventilation
CONS: Fogs In Some Situations
BEST USES: Passenger, Everyday Rides, Protection, Poor Weather, Off-Road
Why all road helmets don't offer the invaluable option of a visor is beyond me. This alone is a huge safety advantage when heading westward in the piercing late afternoon autumn sun in GA. (Must be lack of atmospheric haze. It's my favorite season, but this time of year is always blinding here.)
Although I've had many in various price ranges, I had never really met a full-face helmet that I liked. They all made me feel claustrophobic and dangerously blind in terms of peripheral vision. Until now.
The dirt bike configuration of this helmet's chin bar affords much better downward and some better sideward peripheral view than any other full face I've worn. But the full shield means you don't have to wear goggles (which would really wreck peripheral vision).
The only (and minor) complaint I have with this helmet is that air from under the chin guard actually makes it to my ears. I don't fault this with the chin guard, however. Nor do I favor a chin guard wind insert (which I generally find ineffective). Rather, I think the helmet simply needs more cushion (perhaps removable) in front of the ears (as opposed to on the cheeks).
This makes wind noise, but not the kind you usually associate with a "noisy" helmet. I think the helmet itself is pretty quiet. But I get some direct wind across my ears, which may prove advantageous in mid-summer heat, but makes the helmet a cold one to wear on chilly mornings--especially on a dualsport bike without a windshield. On those days on my DR650, I end up wearing the Solar modular helmet. But if riding my DL1000 (has a small windshield), it's not a problem.
Despite this, I still feel compelled to rate it five instead of four stars, given its overall value and other advantages.
I think this is going to end up being the first full-face helmet that I can actually tolerate throughout the summer.
Still awaiting CycleGear's making replacement face shields available for it, which I assume will be soon.
I usually wear a large, but ended up chosing XL on all three of my Bilt helmets. But that's always difficult to predict; both helmets and heads vary in shape, not just size.
Although both my bikes are gray/silver, I really like the white Explorer and went with it. It's not the usual plain white; kind of a subtle sparkly slightly off-white. Kinda classy-looking finish, really.
Very well pleased with this helmet. If something happened to it, I'd be quick to buy another.
PROS: Good Peripheral Vision, Lightweight, Good Visibility
CONS: Wind Reaches Ears
This being said still looking at the icon when I get some extra money.
PROS: Adequate Ventilation, Comfortable Padding, Awesome Looks, Fits Snug, Lightweight, Void Of Pressure Points, Good Visibility
CONS: Crosswind Buffeting, Noisy
BEST USES: Protection, Off-Road, Passenger, Everyday Rides, Poor Weather
Im never going to ride with any other helmet for the rest of my motorcycle career!
PROS: Fits Snug, Void Of Pressure Points, Adequate Ventilation, Good Visibility, Lightweight
CONS: Prone To Fogging
BEST USES: Protection, Off-Road, Everyday Rides
PROS: Fits Snug, Adequate Ventilation, Good Visibility, Comfortable Padding
BEST USES: Passenger, Protection, Everyday Rides, Off-Road
PROS: Lightweight, Can Run Goggles, Fits Snug, Great Value
CONS: Sizing Is Bazaar, Prone To Fogging
BEST USES: Supermoto, Off-Road
I ditched an icon variant for this helmet. It's smaller and lighter and has better features.
PROS: Good Visibility, Fits Snug, Adequate Ventilation
BEST USES: Poor Weather, Everyday Rides, Protection, Off-Road, Racing
PROS: Lightweight, Good Visibility, Void Of Pressure Points, Fog Resistant, Comfortable Padding, Fits Snug, Adequate Ventilation, Scratch Resistant
BEST USES: Poor Weather, Off-Road, Passenger, Everyday Rides, Protection
PROS: Comfortable Padding, Lightweight, Fits Snug
BEST USES: Poor Weather, Everyday Rides, Off-Road
PROS: Comfortable Padding, Good Visibility, Quiet, Void Of Pressure Points, Fits Snug
BEST USES: Poor Weather, Long Distance, Off-Road, Protection, Dual Sport, Everyday Rides
|Product Style||Item #||Manufacturer Product #||Availability|
|Matte Black / XS||1131835||796450||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / SM||1131836||796451||Out of Stock:|
|Matte Black / MD||1131837||796452||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / LG||1131838||796453||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / XL||1131839||796454||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / 2XL||1131840||796455||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Pearl White / XS||1131846||796462||Only 1 Left: Ships within 24 hours|
|Pearl White / SM||1131847||796463||Out of Stock:|
|Pearl White / MD||1131848||796464||Out of Stock:|
|Pearl White / LG||1131857||796465||Out of Stock:|
|Pearl White / XL||1131849||796466||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Pearl White / 2XL||1131850||796467||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / XS||1131841||796456||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / SM||1131842||796457||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / MD||1131858||796458||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / LG||1131843||796459||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / XL||1131844||796460||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Silver / 2XL||1131845||796461||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|XS / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131851||734856||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|SM / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131852||734857||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|MD / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131853||734858||Out of Stock:|
|LG / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131854||734859||Out of Stock:|
|XL / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131855||734860||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|2XL / Hi-Viz Yellow||1131856||734861||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|