Shoei GT-Air Pendulum Helmet
The Shoei GT-Air has been designed with a fully adjustable ventilation system, drop-down internal sun visor, fog-free Pinlock CNS-1 face shield and Shoei’s comfort and quality. The GT-Air has all of the features you need to keep your focus on the road instead of on the discomforts a lesser helmet can cause. The GT-Air was developed using wind-tunnel testing at Shoei’s state-of-the-art facility in Japan which led to an aerodynamically-tuned tri-composite shell that lessens buffeting as well as wind and road noise. The Shoei GT-Air Helmet exceeds the needs of today's riders, allowing them to enjoy what they love most.
Aerodynamic Shell Design:
- Aerodynamic properties maximized through extensive wind tunnel testing and professional riders’ feedback
- Multi-piece EPS liner enhances impact absorption and ventilation
- Three shell and four EPS liner sizes provide increased fit options that help comfortably fit most head sizes
- Molded air spoiler reduces drag and lift as well as diminishes pressure on the rider’s neck while riding at speed
Sun Shield Visor System:
- Built-in QSV-1 sun shield gives riders instant relief from sun glare in one quick motion
- Visor meets ANSI Z80.3-2010 standard for non-prescription eyeglasses
- Large and easy to reach switch activates the 3D injection-molded inner sun shield
- Distortion-free shield blocks 99% of harmful UV rays
- Forehead area of the outer shell is raised slightly to accommodate the internal sun shield, allowing the integrity of the GT-Air’s inner EPS liner to remain intact
- Upper air intake vent positioned to maximize air volume into the helmet interior
- Large upper intake vent positioned to maximize performance behind wind screens
- Easy to operate large lower intake vent
- Lower air intake/defroster vent reduces shield fogging and increases ventilation
- Rear/neck vents allow for effective air exhaust
- Breath guard and chin curtain included
Advanced Integrated Matrix (AIM):
- High performance fiber materials combined with elastic organic fibers to create a shell structure that is ultra-lightweight, rigid and resilient
- 3-D Max-Dry center pad and multi-layered, polyurethane foam cheek pads
- Chin curtain prevents wind entry and reduces noise
- Cheek pads are replaceable or removable for maintenance
- Eyeglass compatible interior
- E.Q.R.S. (Emergency Quick-Release System) allows emergency medical personnel to easily remove the cheek pads from the helmet of a rider involved in an accident, in turn making the Shoei GT-Air more easily removable
Standard Chin-Strap Clip:
- Neatly secures chin strap
CNS-1 Shield System:
- CNS-1 three-dimensionally curved shield is both wider and taller than the CX-1V it replaces
- Includes Pinlock Anti-Fog Lens for more coverage of the CNS-1 shield
- Dual-Ridge window bead increases contact with the shield to reduce wind noise
- Scratch-resistant shield coating
- 99.9% protection from harmful UV A&B rays
Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, Shoei products can only be shipped to addresses within the United States.
My first purchase was a Bell Qualifier DLX (w/MIPS). The helmet fit really well and was extremely comfortable right out of the box. The only issue I had with it was that it was extremely loud (especially at Highway speeds) and the Sena 10S Com I purchased with it could not be heard at anything over 50 mph....seriously. I returned the helmet and decided to give the cheaper (build quality) Bilt Modular helmet a try....that was a mistake. It is just not "bilt" with the quality that I was expecting. It was loud and again the integrated com system could not be heard above 45-50 mph. I do not fault Cycle Gear for branding their own helmets, but if you are riding a lot (more than 2 times a week) and for extended periods (more than a couple of hours per ride), do yourself a favor and skip to the good helmets.
Disclaimer...I have purchased several other Bilt products (jacket/gloves) and find them to be of good quality for the value/price.
Now on to the Shoei helmet purchase:
I wanted a helmet that fit right and offered long term comfort, noise levels and quality. After wrestling with the thought of spending $500 plus for a helmet...I finally accepted the fact that to get quality fit, finish and durability. It was either going to be a Shoei GT-Air / RF-1200), the Arai Defiant Pro Cruise or Scorpion EXO T1200 . My local Cycle Gear stores (Richardson, TX/Lewisville, TX) are no longer carrying the Scorpion helmet lines...too bad. They look to be excellent helmets.
So, it came down to the Shoei or the Arai. I tried both manufacturers on and found that the Shoei shape fits me better than the Arai.
My main focus for a helmet purchase is as follows:
I must admit that I am pretty fickle when it comes to purchasing a helmet.
I eventually settled on purchasing the the GT-Air, but not until I went through some trials and real soul searching. I ended up initially buying the GT-Air and then returning it for a RF-1200. I thought the GT-Air was a little heavy and bulky after riding with it for a couple of days. It was/is extremely quiet and comfortable, but I took it back to the Lewisville, TX store to exchange for the RF....thinking that the RF would be as comfortable and quiet as the GT-Air...
I rode with the RF for several days and decided that it is a good helmet but it was not the "ONE" for me. It was too small and too loud for the type of riding that I will be doing...think Indian Scout (loud pipes/long rides). So I took it back and re-purchased the GT-Air and have not looked back since. The GT-Air was just substantially quieter than the RF and any other helmet that I've tried (ever). I am sure the Schuberth is quieter...but couldn't be by much.
Currently the padding is breaking in nicely now that I have about 10 hours of ride time in it and I've ordered additional cheek/top pads in different sizes to "custom" fit the helmet to my head.
Lastly, let me say a little something about Cycle Gear:
They have been AWESOME. Especially when it comes to exchanging/returning items. I am sure they are sick of me coming in to return/exchange helmets. But as it stands now...I've purchased the GT-Air and the Sena 10S Com system and both are flawless. the GT-Air is quiet, comfortable, a little snug and a "do it all" helmet (as long as you are not going to the track). I feel that I made the right choice and give Cycle Gear (both locations) an A+++ for service and assistance.
Thanks for helping a dude find a good helmet.
|Product Style||Item #||Manufacturer Product #||Availability|
|Black/White / XS||1162036||0118200503||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/White / SM||1162037||0118200504||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/White / MD||1162038||0118200505||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/White / LG||1162039||0118200506||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/White / XL||1162040||0118200507||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/White / 2XL||1162041||0118200508||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / XS||1162024||0118200103||Only 1 Left: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / SM||1162025||0118200104||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / MD||1162026||0118200105||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / LG||1162027||0118200106||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / XL||1162028||0118200107||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black/Red / 2XL||1162029||0118200108||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|XS / Black/Yellow||1162030||0118200303||Only 3 Left: Ships within 24 hours|
|SM / Black/Yellow||1162031||0118200304||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|MD / Black/Yellow||1162032||0118200305||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|LG / Black/Yellow||1162033||0118200306||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|XL / Black/Yellow||1162034||0118200307||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|2XL / Black/Yellow||1162035||0118200308||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|