This item is available as a Blem/Refurb. These are items that cannot be sold as "New" merchandise and are limited to stock on hand. See the product details for a description of the product's condition.
AGV Sportmodular Carbon Solid Helmet
The world’s first SportModular helmet from AGV provides the performance of a full face helmet together with the comfort of a modular. Entirely built in carbon fiber in both the shell and the chinbar, this specific structure achieves the same protection performance of MotoGP’s Pista GP R in an incredibly light weight construction, combing the highest levels of comfort and safety. Designed to offer 190° horizontal view, the same as the human eye, the AGV SportModular Helmet was born in the wind tunnel for superior quietness, aero stability and ventilation.
The AGV Sportmodular Carbon Helmet fits tight around the jaw and cheek, not unlike a full-face sport helmet. We have found this helmet to run slightly small, please size up if between sizes.
- 100% carbon fiber shell
- 3 shell sizes (XS-SM, MD-LG, XL-3XL)
- 5-density EPS in 4 sizes
- 100% carbon fiber chin bar engineered to guarantee maximum lightweight and balance even in the open configuration
- Shell shape designed to minimize the risk of impact energies being channeled to the collar bone
- Metal chin guard opening system designed to prevent accidental openings
- IVS (Integrated Ventilation System) with a large front vent, a chin guard vent and a rear extractor hollowed in the shell which direct air to the rider’s head without interference with the internal sun shield
- Internal chin channels distribute the air flow evenly through the entire shield surface
- Adjustable integrated spoiler reduces turbulence and maximizes stability
- Pressure-free interior fit
- Removable nose guard and wind protector
- Reversible crown pad features a double face use that allows the rider to select the preferred feel and climate: warmer side with Shalimar fabric for a soft and gentle touch and a cooler side with Ritmo fabric
- Neck roll made from Shalimar and Nabuk fabric with water resistant treatment prevents water from being channeled inside the helmet
- Cheek pads made from Ritmo fabric with Sanitized (antibacterial protection), 2Dry (moisture wicking) and Microsense (premium skin comfort and wearing fluidity) treatments
- Eyeglasses friendly
- Face shield prepared for 100% Max Vision Pinlock (120) anti-fog technology designed for maximum vertical view (85°) and unmatched horizontal view (190°)
- Pinlock insert lens included
- GT3 face shield is anti-scratch and is in 2 sizes to optimize the correct fit between shield and shell in any size and to reduce air drafts and noise (GT3-1 for 2XS-LG, GT3-2 for XL-3XL)
- Integrated anti-scratch inner sun shield is removable without using tools and uses 2 sizes (IV7-1 for 2XS-LG, IV7-2 for XL-3XL)
- Visor Lock System (VLS) reduces the risk of accidental openings
- Metal face shield mechanism designed to minimize surface area, therefore supporting peripheral view and impact performance
- Rapid face shield release system requires no tools and allows it to be removed and replaced in seconds
- Titanium Double D retention system (43% lighter than standard steel DD)
- Internal sun shield in light smoke
First the chin bar is hard to latch when closing it. It takes 2-3 attempts to get it to close. Second the chin strap is difficult to both snap after closing and to release from the d-rings when taking the helmet off. Third the liner for the chin straps don’t align with the chin straps. Now I can live with all of that but Fourth the chin strap is aligned in such a way that it rests against my throat. Riding more than 5 minutes and I feel like I’m being choked.
I’ve been waiting for both the new AGV and the Neotec2
Finally they are both widely available
So I head to my nearest AGV dealer 47miles away
To try on the AGV XL and 2XL,
I didn’t know my head was that big LOL
I tried on both and the 2XL was still tight
But WOW it was really light, but that’s about it
A small button to open the shield? Why? Might be hard with gloves on.
And the real reason why I will not buy this helmet
The modular face release button, awkward placement, really small not really thought out. My thumb slid off the release button while I was trying to open it and got stabbed by the button housing area, it is really sharp, causing some blood loss. The employee didn’t seem too surprised and offered a bandaid....
But it’s really light....
My head shape is on the long-oval end of the spectrum, and I've owned a couple of Shoei models -- most recently an X-Eleven. Shoei's shape is intermediate-oval, but their helmets fit me pretty well. I wanted to try a modular, so I went to my local brick-and-mortar Cycle Gear and ordered both the AGV Sport Modular and the Shoei Neotec 2 (thanks for the return policy CG!).
The AGV is snug, and after wearing it for several minutes I started getting the tell-tale hot spot on my forehead.
The helmet is a narrow fit down the sides. It presses against the top of my ears, but it never turns into outright discomfort. I had to work with the chin straps to find the most comfortable position. You can ease the pressing against the throat, and the tightness on the jaw should get better with break-in. The face opening is a big plus. There are no protruding cheek pads, and the helmet sits a little higher on the brow than the Shoei. It's also noticeably lighter than the Shoei.
The Shoei is very plush, and I don't have any hot spots. I expected this from my previous experience with the X-Eleven. The fit around the ears is not as tight as the AGV, but the Shoei is more confining on the cheeks and brow . The ratcheting buckle is a nice improvement over the classic D-rings.
The manager let me take the helmets for a short test drive. It was a sunny 85-degree day in Texas, and I spent about ten minutes riding with each one. I was able to get up to highway speeds, and I tried to gauge the ventilation and noise as well as the overall comfort.
I believe the Shoei is quieter than the AGV. The plush padding and more confining fit around the face probably account for this. I think the Shoei is also a little more aerodynamic than the AGV. However, it is HOT. I couldn't wait to get it off my head. That same padding and fit that decrease noise also make it a lot warmer. The ventilation didn't do much to cool things down.
The AGV is a little louder and has a little more buffeting, but it's a much cooler helmet than the Shoei. The lighter weight, less padding and more open-face design are probably the main reasons. I also believe the ventilation is more effective in the AGV.
In the end, I went with the AGV due to it's lighter weight, less heat and, yes, it's groovy carbon fiber look. I've compressed the EPS a little in the front and back to ease the hot spot on my forehead (I know, I know -- don't lecture me), and I've used clamps to help break in the padding where the chin straps press against my jaw. The helmet is pretty comfortable now, and I'm happy with it. The Shoei is a more comfortable fit out of the box, but did I mention it was HOT? Oh, and helmets suck.
|Product Style||Item #||Manufacturer Product #||Availability|
|Black / XS||1232143||1201O4IY-004-XS||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / SM||1232144||1201O4IY-004-S||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / MD||1232145||1201O4IY-004-M||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / LG||1232146||1201O4IY-004-L||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / XL||1232147||1201O4IY-004-XL||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / 2XL||1232148||1201O4IY-004-XXL||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Black / 3XL||1232149||1201O4IY-004-XXXL||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / XS||1232136||1201O4IY-003-XS||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / SM||1232137||201201O4IY00310/1201O4IY-003-S||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / MD||1232138||201201O4IY00312/1201O4IY-003-M||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / LG||1232139||201201O4IY00314/1201O4IY-003-L||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / XL||1232140||201201O4IY00315/1201O4IY-003-XL||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / 2XL||1232141||201201O4IY003/002154I0-001-L/1201O4IY-003-XXL/||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|
|Matte Black / 3XL||1232142||1201O4IY-003-XXXL||In Stock: Ships within 24 hours|